AUM hosts honor roll breakfast to celebrate academic success | Events
Last Friday, the Auburn Montgomery athletic department hosted an Honor Roll Breakfast to reward all student-athletes who received a 3.0 grade-point average or higher during the spring 2012 semester. Over half of the athletes at AUM qualified, including 51 who made the Provost’s Honor Roll for having a GPA of 3.50 or higher.
Representatives from all 11 athletic programs were present at the event.
“This truly is one of the best parts of my job,” Athletic Director Steve Crotz said. “It helps us validate an important mission that we have as an institution, and certainly as an athletic department, in ensuring the academic success of our student-athletes. This is a great way for us to help communicate their academic achievements to the rest of the campus community.”
Fifty-one student-athletes earned a spot on the Provost’s Honor Roll for having a grade-point average between 3.50-4.0. An additional 39 student-athletes made the Athletic Director’s Honor Roll for finishing with a GPA between 3.0-3.49.
Men’s soccer led all programs with 12 players on the Provost’s Honor Roll and 17 players honored overall. Women’s soccer (14), baseball (13), softball (12) and women’s basketball (10) also had double-digit players/graduate assistants recognized.
Men’s and women’s tennis, men’s and women’s soccer, softball and women’s basketball all had more than half of their players finish with grade-point averages over 3.0 in the spring.
“It’s really good to see such a large number of student-athletes who not only do well on their fields of competition, but also are able to manage their time away from the classroom,” Crotz said. “Whether it is dealing with daily practices or getting back from a road trip at two in the morning, they have really been able to achieve academically and live up to our University’s tagline that ‘our standard is excellence.’”
Twenty-two AUM staff and faculty members were present at the event, including Chancellor Dr. John G. Veres III and Provost Joe King. The Honor Roll Breakfast is held at the end of each semester at AUM.
Source: AUM Sports Information Director
Top Tallassee Stories
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Grants boost 'Click it or Ticket' enforcement over Memorial Day holida
- 1 Alex City police officer fired, second arrested but back on the job
- Tallapoosa County Sheriff's Department Blotter - 5/21
- Suspect identities released in connection with multi-county drug sting
- Seven arrested in multi-county narcotics sting
- Residents react to shots fired following graduation ceremony
- Shots fired after Macon Co. school graduation; all classes canceled Thursday
- U.S. Sec. of Ag. speaks to Tuskegee U. grads, opens new building
- Macon County's unemployment rate for March
- Tuskegee City Council approves Public Works Employee pay raise