Alabama DOC escapee jumps from bridge, fails to elude capture | Crime
LEE CO., AL (WSFA) - On January 2nd, Alabama Department of Corrections inmate Robert Seagrest escaped from the Elmore Correctional Facility.
Seagrest was serving time for theft of property out of Chambers and Lee County. Officials with the Department of Corrections believe that Seagrest stole a pick-up truck after escaping from the facility.
At around 7:30 p.m., Lee County patrol deputies noticed a vehicle being driven recklessly and attempted to make a traffic stop. After a short chase, the vehicle stopped and Seagrest jumped from the vehicle, then fled along Lee County Road 182.
While being chased by deputies on foot, Seagrest jumped from a bridge and then broke into an unoccupied house on Lee Road 158 where he stole a rifle.
A deputy saw Seagrest leave the house, tackled him and confiscated the gun, which was never fired. Lee County Sheriff Jay Jones confirms that Seagrest is being treated at EAMC for a possible broken leg.
Robert Seagrest faces several charges from multiple agencies.
Copyright 2013 WSFA 12 News. All rights reserved.
Top Tallassee Stories
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Residents react to shots fired following graduation ceremony
- Shots fired after Macon Co. school graduation; all classes canceled Thursday
- U.S. Sec. of Ag. speaks to Tuskegee U. grads, opens new building
- Macon County's unemployment rate for March
- Tuskegee City Council approves Public Works Employee pay raise